DRJ #3: Hamlet, Act III
Initial reaction
Act III was full of intensity which left me feeling both anxious and eager to get on to the next act and to the end. Hamlet verbally attacks Ophelia because she embodies what Hamlet believes the evils of all women. He believes if his mother could turn evil then all women can and he can no longer trust Ophelia or his love for her. The rising action of the play within the play was suspenseful. I felt some relief when Hamlet confronted his mother and am convinced she is guilty.
Character Analysis: Ophelia
The dynamic character Ophelia is a young girl embraced in innocence and naivety who accepts the affections of Hamlet prior to his father’s death. Ophelia enables us to see how drastically Hamlet’s character changes once the ghost visits him and he learns of his mother’s betrayal. Hamlet uses Ophelia to express his loathing for his mother by way of disparaging all women. Ophelia provides Hamlet the opportunity to express his hatred and distrust of his mother.
Theme Analysis:
The theme of this act was filled with guilt and sin. In the first scene Hamlet expresses his guilt and not having fulfilled his commitment to avenge his father. Hamlet confronts his mother Gertrude is struck with guilt and her sins are exposed. Claudius immediately recognizes the dramatic irony in the play and calls for it to stop. When he is alone he is overcome with guilt and prays to God to forgive him his sins.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I liked how you said that Hamlet uses Ophelia to express his hatred for his mother. I realized that Hamlet distrusts all women, he does make it pretty obvious, but I had never thought of it as he was directing his anger at his mother at Ophelia.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOphelia is sort of a funhouse mirror version of Hamlet by Act IV, isn't she? (I know, I'm jumping ahead a bit) Hamlet's father is killed and he broods and heads just a tiny bit crazy. Ophelia's father is killed and she takes the red-eye to Looneyville.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree that this act focuses on the guilt that practically every character is feeling at this point.
I have to say, in all my years, I have not read Hamlet all the way through. All the Kings English would confuse me, but I am getting through it this time, (I have to) and you are right, it does have some intensity to the play now.
ReplyDeleteI like your theme analysis. I agree that this scene is full of sin and guilt. It seems like everyone is so full of guilt, they are destroying themselves. I also didn't think about how Hamlets rage for his mother was taken out on Ophilia. I like that connection.
ReplyDeleteGuilt and sin nailed it on the head with the theme analysis. The Ghost of the King was right and negated all of Hamlet's doubt that Claudius was not the murderer of his father. Do you think that anybody would forigve Claudius for what he did?
ReplyDelete