Friday, March 19, 2010

DRJ #4

DRJ #4: Hamlet, Act IV & V

Initial reaction
I was not so eager to get to the end of Act V as I thought I would be, maybe because I remembered the ending from having read it 30 years ago. None the less, I found myself telling Hamlet to “Watch out for the poisoned sword!” I still wanted a happy ending!
Character Analysis: Hamlet
Of course Hamlet is our protagonist who is a tragic hero, but I like to think of him as a man-child who was coddled so much so that he fell apart when he should have stepped up to the throne. I think a prince should have been raised prepared for the potential assassination of his father, the King. Didn’t King Hamlet give him princely lessons with fencing lessons? Shakespeare did a great job giving Laertes strength and honor and Horatio good judgment and loyalty. By giving these characters that kind of depth we were able to see what was lacking in Hamlet.

Theme Analysis:
The theme I decided to focus on this time is Death/Life. I was impressed by Horatio wanting to drink from the poisoned goblet to show his “undying” loyalty to Hamlet. The meaning of loyalty was much different in Hamlet’s time than it is today and Horatio was willing to prove it to his death. Hamlet gives Horatio life by asking him to continue living so that he can tell Hamlet’s story, I’m assuming to preserve the family name. Ironically, Hamlet also gives Fortinbras a new and honorable life by giving the land his father took from Norway back along with all of Denmark. Horatio will give a new life to Denmark upon telling Hamlet’s story, changing its reputation from drunkards to heroes.

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean when you say that you were wishing for a happy ending, I wish sometimes that the story would end differently. I also liked your theme analysis, Act 5 definitely has both life and death, which the death of Hamlet and Claudius, new life comes when Fortinbras assumes control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you! Where you said that Hamlet should have been raised to accept the fact that, as prince, there is potential that his father, being king, could be murdered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you pointed out that Shakespeare gave other characters certain qualities so that we as the readers could determine what Hamlet was lacking and what made his flaws fatal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hoped Hamlet would pull it out in the end as well. I already knew the end, but there is a part of me that hopes he pulls it out. I like your theme life and death. It was a great analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exactly why I don't think that Hamlet deserved the cards he was dealt. He lacks the judgement that a King to be should have, but it isn't his fault. Hamlet isn't a glutton, he was simply never taught. That is why I believe that Shakespeake's message for the entire play is "life isn't fair."

    ReplyDelete