Friday, February 26, 2010

DRJ #1: Hamlet, Act I

Initial reaction: Wow! I read Hamlet while in high school 30 years ago, but cannot for the life of me remember any of it! Age or boredom, regardless, it is like reading it for the first time again. I first read the version from the text and found it very difficult to follow, having to flip between the “Mish-Mosh” doc provided by Ms. Blunk and flipping back and forth through the text. Next, I tried “Sparknotes.com” and was able to grasp what was going on and who was who. I have nothing in my life that could be compared to this tragic story, thank God! So far I like the story and am intrigued to find out what happens next.
Character Analysis: I chose the ghost to do my first character analysis. If he is truly the ghost of Hamlet’s father, the once King of Denmark I would view him as a tragic hero in his living time. If he is not the ghost of Hamlet’s I am going to assume he is an antagonist. He uses Hamlet’s vulnerabilities to entice him murder the new king. As an antagonist he is causing a potential conflict intentionally. I’m not sure yet what this ghost’s motivation would be, unless the ghost is an evil spirit wanting to have the new king killed so that another (not Hamlet) can be crowned the new king. Maybe Polonius made a deal with the devil?
Theme Analysis: I’m going to go with the theme of deceit and deception. According to the ghost, Claudius not only deceived his brother but his nephew to get to the crown. Claudius has also deceived Gertrude into believing him to be the love of her life to get to the crown. Gertrude betrayed her late husband the King as well as her son.

6 comments:

  1. I was also confused by the text the first time I read it. I kept thinking that I should know this story from highschool,but it was like reading it for the first time. I like the theme that you chose of deceit and deception. Claudius did what every he could to get the crown and deceived everyone who was associated with it. I really liked your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the story can be very confusing sometimes. Ive read a handful of other Shakespeare plays and this to me is by far the hardest to read. Your choice of theme was also a good one. Claudius is definitely full of deceit and deception, he manages to convince everyone that he is a great guy, everyone except Hamlet of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was interesting that you chose the Ghost for your character analysis and you did a great job in interpreting his motives. It seems that if we take Hamlet and put it into a modern context, it would make for a good mystery movie. Just throw Tom Cruise and Julia Roberts in it and its a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it a little hard to read at first too, but once I got into it, it got a little easier. I think it is really interesting that you picked the ghost for the character analysis, I guess because he's not the obvious first pick. I thought your analysis was great and liked your interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo, interesting take on Polonius! I have never thought of that before, but he does seem to be in the middle of everything, always inserting his advice and opinions. Hmm...although i guess I've always thought of him as a behind-the-scenes character - he would rather pull the strings then be the puppet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too agree that the theme could be deceit based on what Claudius did to get the throne for himself. In addition I think that Hamlet's anger for his uncle might lead to even more deceit and drama.

    ReplyDelete